Saturday, February 9, 2013

Türkenkrieg - Heinrichsen 40mm Flats


 
Here's another interesting set of antique designs from Heinrichsen, Prinz Eugen. 40mm in scale and first issued in 1887.  It features Prince Eugene of Savoy's campaign agains the Turks 1716-1717, culminating in the Siege of Belgrade in 1717.  This is right in the sweet sport for me so far as the historical period goes and the Ottomans add an exotic touch.

I scanned the following image from my copy of Ortmann's The Collector's Guide to Model Tin Figures (good book if you can find it).  The diorama consists of a few thousand 30mm flats and depicts Prince Eugene crossing the Danube in 1717.  It's one of the things that inspired my interest in the Ottoman-Hapsburg wars.


The Prinz Eugen set contains 45 figures, about evenly divided between Ottomans and Imperialists.
There are several well-animated figure groups like the one I've painted here.  In this set, the Austrian army has no cavalry figures for some reason, aside from two mounted officers. The Imperialist infantry are evenly divided between Austrians and Bavarians. As the Bavarian contingent was 6,000 strong out an army of 100,000, I'd have preferred grenadiers or Austrian cavalry but Bavarians it is then.

I hesitated to get this set because the Austrians didn't look quite satisfactory to me, with smallish hats and the coats too short. But they're really not so bad once the paint goes on.  And some of the Bavarian infantry are equipped with billhooks for unhorsing Turkish cavalry, there may be some historical precedent for that but I'm more inclined to believe it's an anachronism.  Considering the designs date to the 19th Century, I can't nitpick these figures too much on the grounds of historical accuracy.  I'll enjoy them for what they are and they should keep me busy for a while.  Painted in acrylics, as usual.



11 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted flats as always. Wow, that image of that huge diorama is incredible. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point about the coats but I think the coats are actually almost the right length, its the legs are too long!

    I have a fondness for the Turks, a foothold in Europe but not of it.

    Anyway, they look good painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dramaticaly posed figures - excellent

    ReplyDelete
  4. The huge diorama is insane! Lovely painting. Simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much, Gentlemen.

    You could be right about the long legs, Ross. I think it may be a combination of both. The Turks may have somewhat the best of this set, many good figures as yet unpainted.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, stunning figures Steve, I can't wait to see more!
    Best wishes Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking minis and pictures, nice presentation too!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Brian. Glad you like them. Should be posting more soon.

    When it comes to staying focused on a project, I have the attention span of a grade school kid, but so far the enthusiasm for these hasn't flagged yet.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Phil. Credit the old designer for Ernst Heinrichsen, whoever he was. Not everything was accurate but he had a sure hand when it came to the poses and animation.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  10. we have so many common pls see my blog
    turkishtoysoldier
    very nice of yours and perfect blog
    Cem

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Cem.

    It's very good to hear from you and thanks so much letting me know about your Turkish Toy Soldier blog. Brilliant use of the old postcards, I'll spend more time looking there.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete